Earth, Wind & Water

Ramblings of an Earthling, Laserite and small boat sailor

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Best ever sailing innovation - sunscreen


A couple of days ago I mentioned yacht club fees as the worst ever sailing innovation. I don't want to dwell only on the negative, so I declare sunscreen as the best ever invention for sailing. As a red head who loves sailing and other outdoor pursuits, it makes my life a lot better, and I can't imagine living without it. Getting sunburned is painful, bad for your health, and ages your skin.

My favorite sunscreen is Coppertone Sport because it sticks to your skin so quickly. It says is does so instantly, but I find it does benefit from drying for a few minutes before you get wet. Most sunscreens tell apply the cream 20 minutes before perspiring or getting wet, but who does that every time?

That said, it does make sense to put it on sooner rather than later. What's the point in getting a little bit sunburnt while you rig up before slapping it on? In fact, it might even be worth putting it on before driving to the lake. The plastic laminate in windshields filters UV fairly well, but I'm not so sure about the window glass which is tempered, not laminated.

I don't pay too much attention to the SPF factor once it's above 20, because what counts is not to what degree it filters every last UV ray, but how long it stays on your skin. Besides, you do need a little bit of UV for your skin to make vitamin D.

No comments:

Post a Comment